Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Halloween Candy-Your Child's Teeth (And Yours!)

It's that time of year again.... Halloween is just around the corner and the real horror for parents is the amount of sugar their kids will likely consume. In terms of cavities, believe it or not, it is probably better to let the kids have that "candy eating marathon" before bed. Of course, you will want to make sure that they brush before they go to sleep for the night! The fact is that consuming the candy over a prolonged period (say, over a few weeks) is worse for the teeth! It isn't the amount of sugar that the teeth are exposed to but the length of time they are exposed that makes them susceptible to cavities. Sugar feeds the cavity causing bacteria in the mouth. The more often they eat the sugary type foods, the more susceptible they are.

Here is a tip for a Halloween hand out that is good for kids teeth: Sugar-free gum that contains Xylitol is an excellent choice. Xylitol kills the germs and bacteria that cause cavities. And for parents who want even more protection for their kids there are other Xylitol products available in the form of toothpaste, oral rinses and floss. Adults can benefit from the use of these products as well.

No comments: