Most babies don't start getting teeth until they are around six months old but its a great idea to get in the habit of cleaning their mouth as soon as possible. This will make it easier on the parent in the long run.
Below are some tips on infant oral care:
- Wipe the gums after every feeding with a soft cloth.
- Massage the gums and teeth with slight pressure when teething.
- Brush with a silicone finger brush once the teeth have erupted.
- Once the teeth have erupted, cut down on night feedings.
- Start on finger-foods around eight - nine months.
- Encourage drinking from a open tumbler around ten months.
- Stop bottle feeding by age one.
It is recommended from the child to see the dentist for the first time when their first tooth has erupted or by their first birthday.