Monday, February 13, 2012

Dental Specialists:What Does Each One Do?Part 2

The question that is most often asked, is, "Which type of dentist should I see if I need Implants?"
Dental Implants can be done by 3 types of dentists.

* Oral Surgeons
* Periodontists
* General Practitioners*

Prosthodontists are usually called upon to do the final restoration for implants, which involves setting the crown on an implant.
*Not ALL general practitioners can do implants. They are capable only if they have had the advanced training required.
Implants are a permanent solution to tooth loss...they are better supported than dentures. The procedure is invasive, however, and depending on the patient and the structure of the patients' jawbone, there are 2 types of implants available; full standard implants and mini implants.
Here is a link to an article that explains the difference between a mini implant and a standard implant.
Keep smiling!

No comments: